On 1 and 2 January, the walls of the High Court and the Court of Final Appeal of Hong Kong were graffitied by mobs and judges were named and abused. In response, the Department of Justice, the HKSAR Government, the Bar Association and the Law Society issued successive statements condemning the graffiti as heinous.
The Beijing_Daily reporter noted that it was not the first time a court in Hong Kong had been set on fire by a mob. On the afternoon of the 8th of last month, the high court and the court of final appeal of hong kong were suspected of having been thrown gasoline bombs by rioters.
Previously, HKU graduates had bitten officers'fingers on bail and 21-year-old car workers had been sentenced to 200 hours of social service. The results of this series have been questioned by netizens, some even said that \"Hong Kong justice has become a joke.\" Some are curious as to how judges will decide that the \"fire\" has now burned to the gates of hong kong's courts.
Although the outcome is not known, it is worth noting that in the last two days, the hong kong courts have been tough on several cases of alleged assault weapons and deliberate wounding.
On january 1st, the hong kong people's front launched a \"march on new year's day \", according to the star island daily. Police intercepted a number of people from Causeway Bay to Central. One of the PolyU students was found guilty of two counts of \"possession of tools for illicit use\" and \"possession of prohibited weapons\" with a homemade \"lotus flower\" and 95 homemade \"Tribulus terrestris \".
The case was brought before the Eastern Magistrates'Court today. The university's undergraduate name is Ren Junming,19, a sophomore in biomedical engineering at PolyU, the prosecution said. As early as last September, he was arrested for possession of knives, cords and other tools.
On November 21,2019, the 72-year-old was found and stopped by the off-duty sheriff as he destroyed an election poster of a DC member. During the two sides'entanglement, Luo Yanda was suspected of cutting the sheriff's right cheek with a blade.
According to Orange News, the case was re-examined today at the Fanling Magistrates'Court, where he was charged with three counts of criminal destruction and one count of intentional wounding. At the request of the prosecution, the magistrate adjourned the case until the 31st of this month to seek legal advice and the accused should remain in custody.
Defendant Lo Yanda is said to be charged with the destruction of 25 banners outside Dongqingtang and Sheung Shui Wai on September 18, October 31 and November 21,2019.
In the early hours of December 1,2019, a middle-aged man was suspected of being hit in the head with a manhole cover while he was self-cleaning a barricade built by a mob in Mong Kok. The man had blood on his brain and 10 stitches to his head. The 33-year-old man was arrested by the police on the night of 31 March and charged with wounding with intent.
On january 2nd the case was brought before the west kowloon magistrate's court. The prosecution described the case as \"ferocious\" and serious in nature, opposing the defendant's application for bail. The judge refused the defendant's application for bail after hearing the resignation of the two parties and will be detained until March 12.
A 22-year-old man was arrested by police for possession of a petrol bomb during a demonstration in Tseung Kwan O on October 13,2019. The case was heard at the Kwun Tong Magistrates'Court on 2 January. The man was sentenced to one year in prison for one count of possession of an offensive weapon in a public place. Hong Kong media said it was the first time a mob had been jailed for possessing a petrol bomb since the \"revision storm.\"
During the trial, counsel for the 22-year-old defendant filed seven plea letters, including one written by the defendant himself, stating that there had been deep reflection during the remand period and that it was important to fight by peaceful and rational means to worry parents and affect their future after being arrested.
The Magistrate pointed out that the accused had pleaded guilty and reflected, but the case was a serious crime, the gas bombs involved were lethal, the defendant's actions were clearly intended to undermine public safety, but fortunately they did not cause damage and injury, otherwise the case would be transferred to a higher court, taking into account the circumstances of his personal background, and the sentence had been reduced accordingly.
The Beijing_Daily reporter noted that on the night of January 2, Hong Kong's chief executive, Carrie Lam, posted on social media that Hong Kong's rule of law and judicial independence were internationally renowned.
Mrs Lam said that 15 internationally renowned overseas judges with high legal standing were willing to take part in the work of the courts in Hong Kong, demonstrating their recognition of the rule of law and the independence of the judiciary in Hong Kong.
Mrs Lam said one of the overseas judges, former Canadian Chief Justice Caroline, had recently told the Canadian media that the courts were very independent, highly qualified and strictly enforced.